Monday, March 21, 2005

Million Dollar Baby Review

Was Million Dollar Baby the best film in 2004? No, not at all. It is very well done though. Everything comes together for the most part- the acting, the plot, the characters...it's a nice package that Eastwood put together. But the thing is, for the most part I've seen it all before. There are a lot of cliches present in the film that, while they are presented very well, I've seen in various other incarnations. It's tough to explain this further without giving away plot points. It's a lot of that 'live for the moment' kinda stuff. I don't want to sound like I didn't enjoy the film; I did and I think it's certainly worth seeing. To be honest, I think I've undermined Clint Eastwood's directing skills over the years.

So yeah, it may have been worthy of some of the acting Oscars but 'Best Picture' it was not. Still check it out though, if you haven't already. Oh, and it was nice to finally see Morgan Freeman in something other than an Ashley Judd thriller.

Torrey's Opinion:
5- Strongly Recommended
4- Recommended
3- A Mixed Bag
2- Sub-par
1- Don't Bother

Random Related Fact: Clint Eastwood used the first draft of the script without any re-writes for filming.

No comments: