Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Children Of Men Review

HIGHS
  • After seeing Y tu mamá también and the third Harry Potter, I knew Alfonso Cuarón was good. I had no idea he was this good. The direction of this film, both artistically and technically is beyond impressive. I was flat out astounded at what was achieved.
  • I can't think of another movie that offers such a realistic look into the future. The landscape is so convincing that you find yourself never doubting their situation for a second. There have been other sci-fi movies that have done a respectable job portraying possible futures (Bladerunner, Minority Report, Waterworld, etc.) but for me COM takes the cake.
(I was just kidding about Waterworld. That movie is ridiculous.)
  • I have not felt so emotionally jarred by a film since Schindler's List.
  • Children Of Men contains what have to be the most amazing continuous shots (meaning the camera doesn't cut away as we travel throughout a scene) that have ever been done before. It is impossible to explain just how impressive they are; you have to see for yourself. I can't imagine the amount of prep work that went into these shots but the results are very literally jaw-dropping.
  • Clive Owen has quickly become one of my favorite actors over the past few years. The man picks interesting and varied roles and does a superb job with them, always. He also has a very commanding screen presence.
  • I am pretty certain that Children Of Men immediately made it into my Top 5 Favorite Films. That's after one viewing. It's just that good.

LOWS
  • The fact that Children of Men has to be shown in the same building as Code Name: The Cleaner.

Torrey's Opinion:
5- Strongly Recommended
4- Recommended
3- A Mixed Bag
2- Sub-par
1- Don't Bother


Random related fact: For the first week of release at Leicester Square in London, there was a mistake on the cinema marquee, declaring the film title to be "Children of Me."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a public service to any readers who may be swayed by Mr Ham's opinions when making decisions regarding movie attendance (as I was prior to this weekend), I feel it is my duty to comment on this blog and inform everyone that Mr Ham is so far off the mark with his review of "Children of Men" that I am left wondering if he actually saw the film. I saw this movie yesterday and I can state with certainty that it is one of the worst pieces of drivel ever to be shown in a theatre. The plot has so many holes in it, I assume the screenplay was written in no more than nine minutes. Mr Ham praises the film for its creative cinematography and I will agree that if the film has some strong points, it is its artistic use of cinematography. However, who cares about cinematography when a much more important aspect of the film – the actual story – is so incredibly stupid? The amateur hacks that threw this screenplay together failed time and time to create a plot that actually made sense or conformed to the laws of logic. This may be the last time I take Mr Ham seriously as a film critic. And Mr Ham: I am sending you a bill for $9 to reimburse me for my wasted afternoon yesterday.

Torrey said...

I'm not going to bother responding to this. My position on the film has been made clear and I stand by it. I would encourage people to see the movie for themselves so they can form their own opinion.

Sara said...

I am sorry, Jay. I side with Torrey. While it might not make it into my top 5, I was moved and found it to be excellent.


And just so you both note, kilts can be round.

Anonymous said...

"I'm not going to bother responding to this." But then you did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Confused

Torrey said...

I more meant that I wasn't going to be drawn into a debate with Jay when clearly neither party is prepared to budge.

Have the courage to show yourself, Anonymous!